Launch Your New Business
LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON STARTING A BUSINESS?
If you have dreamed of being your own boss but didn’t know where to start, you have come the right place.
- Learn how to turn your idea into a successful business.
- Discover what forms and licenses you need before you start.
- Learn how to secure loans and financing.
- Learn the importance of a business plan and how to prepare one.
Successful small businesses take planning and risk management. Learn about the challenges facing your type of business and increase your odds of success.
Over a 30-year span, our resource team has offered workshops, classes, business management programs and access to business advisors, all here to help you start a small business in Lane County.
Before you begin or invest in a small business, you will need to:
- Evaluate the idea for your business by researching similar businesses
- Do a self-assessment of your abilities and determine where your skills are strongest and where you need to learn more
- Research the market and your potential customers
- Do a financial analysis on the feasibility of your business venture
- Write a basic business plan
Statics report that approximately 70% of new businesses fail within the first seven years. You can improve your odds by working with our resource team.
Our Center offers assistance with the above areas—and much more.
A smart first-step would be to sign-up for the Ready, Set, Start Your Business workshop to begin your journey.
STEP 1: TAKE THE READY, SET, START YOUR BUSINESS ORIENTATION
Begin your business the right way! You have the idea, now it’s time to get started! Cover the basics in two hours and decide if running a business is right for you.
Ready, Set, Start Your Business Orientation
We recommend attending this class before scheduling your first advising appointment.
STEP 2: ATTEND OTHER START-UP WORKSHOPS
OTHER START-UP WORKSHOPS
Our in-person, start-up workshops are offered at low or no-cost on a regular basis throughout the year. These start-up workshops will provide you the necessary tools and insight to start your business on solid ground.
Examples of Start-up Workshops Are:
- How to Start & Sustain a Successful Restaurant Business.
- Organizing Your Business
- Writing a Business Plan
- Small Business Administration Loan Briefing
- Marketing 101 for Your Business
- Know Your Market
- Intellectual Properties for Small Business
- Contractors Certification Preparation
Check our Training Calendar for a complete list of Business Classes and Workshops
COMPLETE ONLINE REQUEST FOR ADVISING
After you’ve attended a workshop, it’s time to complete an electronic Request for Consulting (eRFC). This form will start your relationship with the Lane SBDC where you will find the most up-to-date resources for your business information needs.
You can receive step-by-step business advising (at no-cost to you) to start your entrepreneurial venture, get resource referrals and have access to free business handouts. Let our advisors become a member of your resource team for your new business. Go to Business Advising for more information or call 541.463.6200 to schedule an appointment.
Once the form is submitted, you will be contacted by the Lane Community College SBDC to set up an advising session.
STEP 3: BUSINESS START-UP TOOLS AND RESOURCES
- Business Oregon
- Oregon Secretary of State – Business
- Oregon Business Registration forms: http://sos.oregon.gov/business/Pages/business-registration-forms.aspx
- Search a Business Name at http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.login
- Small Business Administration
- 6 Low Cost Ways to Test your Business Idea https://www.sba.gov/blogs/6-low-cost-ways-test-your-business-idea
- Lane Business Link
- Construction Contractors Board
- Self-Study Handbook/CD available for resale
Remember, We Are Part of Your Resource Team!
Connect With Us On Social Media